Sunday, May 11, 2008

Weekley Reflection, week one!


I cannot believe that one week of senior project has already gone by! Time sure has flown and I can’t believe it. It was so much fun. This week a lot of what we did focused on getting to know the kids and learning their schedule. It was sort of an introduction week for Hannah and I, but we still got a lot done! The biggest thing I learned this week is that you have to have A LOT of patience when working with younger kids. There were some days where I thought I was going to go crazy, but I knew that getting really mad wasn’t going to make it easier. I also learned that when planning lessons for little kids you have to vary it so that you are not doing the same type of thing everyday. We realized that after a couple days of coloring activities that they were getting bored of it, so we decided to change our activity and they seemed to really like it. I realized that you always have to change it up with little kids and that being spontaneous is what they love!

I loved what I was doing! I adore working with all the little kids. I think that working with them is really fun and I believe that what Hannah and I are doing with them is a lot of fun. It is also nice because we are two extra sets of hands to help the teachers and being a sister of a teacher I understand how much they appreciate the extra help. Hannah and I have so many more special activities planned for them and are so excited to share them with the children.
Hannah and I weren’t specifically ever asked to do certain activities. Raz always asked us what we had prepared for each day and just asks us what we needed in order to do our activities. Other than the activities that we supplied Hannah and I are always around helping opening snacks, tying shoes, playing on the playground with them and reading stories with them.
The only surprises that popped up to me is how little they really are. I mean I knew we were working with preschoolers, but I guess I just imagined them to be a bit bigger and a lot more developed mentally. I kind of realized that some of the activities we have planned, they may not be able to do because they are not there yet. Other than this I personally did not have too many surprises!
I think I will definitely benefit from this week in many ways. Now I have an understanding of those aged kids and what they like to do. They love to play outside, run around, and enjoy the simply things in life like a sandbox. I also now know what their schedule is like, so I can expect what each day will be like. I think that the preschool is a lot of hard work, but it pays off because of how much fun the little kids can be! I am very excited to see what this week holds!

No comments: